Re: Options to use winxp and netbsd together with xen

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 09:51:56AM +0300, pierre-philipp braun wrote:
> unless you have already used NetBSD as a workstation instead of a
> server,

Yes, for 8 years (it was NetBSD 4 when I started using) on various
laptops, Raspberry Pi and even on android through an emulator! [ Last one
just to see if it works, but remaining are regularly used. ] Among
servers: using it on my VPS instance and one public Unix system.

> I would advice to try it first in this regard, and check whether
> it does support all your laptop's peripherals,

Yes, it does. Sole reason I deviated to Linux in 2015 was because of
missing USB3 support in NetBSD on this laptop at that time. After 8.0 I am
back to using NetBSD.

In fact I am already using NetBSD Xen Dom0 on the laptop in question using
a USB stick. Once my options are finalized I'll move it to the hard disk.

So, used to and prepared to dealing with quirks and live with limitations
at times.

Would appreciate inputs on whether a vdi disk image with WinXp on it can
be reliably converted  to a form and used as DomU such that the
pre-existing installation continues to work. I have converted it to "raw"
format and it boots but leads to BSOD, sometimes taking down Dom0 along!

Mayuresh