xentools48 without ipxe?

Hi List

Is it possible to build xentools without ipxe?
I ask as that looks by design impossible to build with using clang and I
don't want to have to bring in another toolchain just for this.

error: fields must have a constant size: 'variable length array in
structure' extension will never be supported"

See the root cause here:
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/blob/827dd1bfee67daa683935ce65316f7e0f057fe1c/src/include/ipxe/pccrc.h#L146

I note that older xentools don't force gcc but do include the above -
how is that done and can it be done for xentools48?

Roy