Re: X11 on intel

On 25 September 2015 at 13:01, Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> There isn't currently a way of getting accelerated X11 in a Xen DOM0
> for Intel GPUs. There is PR #49330 basically on this.

I'm working on this (see previous email) - my patches would work on a
machine with RAM <= the dma maximum, but as Manuel pointed out, our
uvm and drm infrastructure itself needs changes to do this properly.

I really need testing on those patches (which will most certainly
panic()/corrupt memory on a >4GB RAM modern machine), but I need to
see multiple crashes to help chase a few dangling pointers I haven't
got yet.

> Back in May, I added a copy of the final version of xf86-video-intel
> that would work without drm support to -current, it is built as well
> as the version of the driver that uses drm.
>
> It may be a bit late, but is it worth asking for this to be pulled up
> to NetBSD-7 for use with Xen DOM0s ? It would provide 2d and video
> acceleration.
>
> Robert Swindells

I vote "YES".

--