Re: xen-4.5 on NetBSD/amd64-6.1.5

On Friday, April 24, 2015, Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
At Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:52:17 -0500, david l goodrich <dlg%dsrw.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: xen-4.5 on NetBSD/amd64-6.1.5

> I just tried upgrading from xen 4.2 to 4.5, but my NetBSD domUs
> won't boot.  I am not having any luck tracking down a reason,
> does anyone have any pointers?

I had a lot of problems getting the new xl.cfg(5) parser to accept
old-style and now-deprecated "disk" and "vif" entries, but then again I
wasn't starting with existing working examples, and was making things up
without really knowing what would work.

Anyway, I would recommend converting to the new preferred style:

  disk = [
    'format=raw, vdev=0x1, access=rw, target=/dev/mapper/small-vm.router',
         ]

The syntax is still horrid -- I wish they had changed it to something
entirely new and simpler instead of this half-baked looks-like-python-
but-really-definitely-is-NOT-python mess that it is now.  (E.g. the way
the "target" parameter is hackishly parsed, or not parsed, if you will).

That is a horrid format.  I was able to get away with s/phy/raw/g across all my configs, though. It appears 'phy' has been removed from 4.5. Thanks for the pointer to get me going in the right direction.

--david

Also, run the create with lots of verbosity (xl -vvv create), and check
the Xen/dom0 console output too (dmesg && xl dmesg).  Those may give
more clues as to where the problem is occurring.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/