Re: Dom0 memory allocation?

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

  An advisory published today says that despite this config, a vnc or x11 backend
  is started anyway. But it should not matter much for 2 domUs.

Good to know!

  OK, I guess that explains it :)
  that's good to know; I never noticed such problem with the older Xens.

I tested it now on another machine, and I cannot trigger it there:

hannah# uname -a
NetBSD hannah.gmplib.org 6.1.4 NetBSD 6.1.4 (XEN3_DOM0) amd64
hannah# pkg_info | grep xen
xentools42-4.2.5    Userland Tools for Xen 4.2.x
xenkernel42-4.2.5nb1 Xen 4.2.x Kernel

Its resident set never becomes more than 1/10 of the *initial* resident
set of xentop on the newer install.

I took a look at the sources, and it is not immediately evident what is
going on.  I don't much fancy its handling of xenstat_mode allocations;
keeping this around to a new iteration seems prone to errors.  I'd copy
out the (relevant parts of) the data to a statically allocated area
instead, to keep a cleaner state.

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622