Re: Instability with NetBSD Dom0

tg%gmplib.org@localhost (Torbjörn Granlund) writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:
>
>   I'm not sure why you want to experiment :-) Seriously, on a production
>   machine, I would recommend just making all files used for vnd
>   non-sparse.  (If you want to grab another box to experiment on a home to
>   fix the bug, great, but I would decouple that from your production
>   setup.)
>
> Well, you misunderstand.  :-)
>
> I am all for a robust production machine...  Now it is not robust, and I
> would like to understand why it is not robust.  Determining the envelope
> of the bug helps; I will then intelligently choose life outside of said
> envelope.

Sure, but the widely-reported experiences of pretty much everybody is
that sparse vnd files are trouble, and that without them, netbsd/xen is
very stable.

> A nice side-effect is doing a contribution to making NetBSD better.

True, but you can fix this bug without involving your colo hardware.

>   Another reason not to use sparse files is that creating files non-sparse
>   gets you pretty good locality of block allocation and I think this leads
>   to higher efficiency, but I don't have test data.
>
> I think this is true for rust disks, less so for SSDs (at least if you
> remember to coax the NetBSD installer into not misaligning all
> partitions...).

That could be true.  But there may be larger IO chunks anyway.  This
needs some data, for the glorious future when vnd works with sparse.