Re: pygrub with NetBSD domU

    Date:        Wed, 30 Apr 2014 08:09:58 +0200
    From:        manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus)

  | kernel netbsd613-XEN3PAE_DOMU

  | And of course I have in filesystem root:
  | /netbsd614-INSTALL_XEN3PAE_DOMU
  | /netbsd614-XEN3PAE_DOMU

613 or 614 ?

  | vnconfig vnd4 xen/vnd/rack2.vnd
  | dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rvnd4d bs=512 count=1
  | vnconfig -u vnd4

That has to be one of the weirdest ways of copying 512 bytes into the
start of a file I've yet to see, why not just ...

        dd if=/dev/zero of=xen/vnd/rack2.vnd  bs=512 count=1
?

I haven't been reading this thread, but why?   What's supposed to be
the advantage of pygrub over a normal NetBSD Xen boot (which doesn't
require mangling the image file).  Is it just that this way the kernel
booted lives inside the filesystem?   Personally I would see that as
a disadvantage - I actually have a 6.1_something kernel in /netbsd
inside my DomU, but I boot 6.99.something (as I need wedge autodiscovery).

For booting different kernels, just use different Xen configs.

Nothing that matters breaks, and it means that if the DomU gets hacked,
there's no (relevant) kernel available that can be modified (and the bogus
one that is there might just confuse things a little.)

kre