Xen console detection/selection

The other thing about NetBSD and Xen that has me a bit confused is Xen console
detection/selection for systems without RS-232 (COM0) serial ports, e.g. all
you have is built-in graphics ("vga") and USB ports for
keyboard+mouse+whatever. I've got an HP Proliant Microserver N40L which fits
that description.

What I observe is that when the Xen hypervisor is started, console output
ceases entirely until the getty prompt from the dom0 appears. One can recover
the dom0 boot messages from dmesg, but that's it. What's going on here?

My /boot.cfg reads as follows:

menu=Boot Xen (vga):load /netbsd.dom0 console=com0;multiboot /xen.gz
dom0_mem=256M console=vga
#
menu=Boot Xen (vga, single user):load /netbsd.dom0 -s console=com0;multiboot
/xen.gz dom0_mem=256M console=vga
#
menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
#
menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -s
#
menu=Disable ACPI:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -2
#
menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -12
#
menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
#
default=1
timeout=10
clear=1

You will note that the dom0 is told to use "com0" (which is presumably being
provided under emulation by the Xen hypervisor); that's what worked for me to
get anything to work at all, and I was just guessing that a VM would have to do
something like this.

What's the recommended method?

        curious,

        Erik <fair%netbsd.org@localhost>