Re: LVM and Xen given module load issue

On Feb 14, 11:35pm, Darren Spruell wrote:
} Subject: Re: LVM and Xen given module load issue
} On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
} > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:42:47PM -0700, Darren Spruell wrote:
} >> On 02/14/2014 12:31 PM, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
} >> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Darren Spruell wrote:
} >> >
} >> >> Wanted to inquire what the recommended process is for setting up a Xen
} >> >> host system with support for LVM (and dm kernel driver/etc.) given
} >> >> that module loading does not function with the Xen Dom0 kernel. The
} >> >> only option I see is to modify the kernel to include 'pseudo-device
} >> >> dm' but I'm not clear on ability to do this in the Xen kernel.
} >> >
} >> >   I think this was added over 3 years ago, and should be present in the
} >> > NetBSD-6 releases.
} >>
} >> Yes, however:
} >>
} >> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-lvm.html
} >>
} >> Xen Dom0 kernels don't load modules (ABI differences) so the (dm) module
} >> won't load.
} >
} > No, but I guess you can still build it as part of the kernel instead
} > as a module.
} >
} >> Also userland tools are not built by default.
} >
} > I have a 'lvm' command on my netbsd-6 box, so I guess it's built by default
} > now.
}
} So much fail on my part.
}
} # which lvm
} /sbin/lvm
}
} /stand/amd64/6.1/modules/dm/dm.kmod
}
} Confused at the section in https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-lvm.html:
}
} -----
} 17.4. Configure LVM on a NetBSD system
}
} For using LVM you have to install lvm2tools and libdevmapper to NetBSD
} system. These tools and libraries are not enabled as default.
}
} To enable the build of LVM tools, set "MKLVM=yes" in the /etc/mk.conf
} or "MAKECONF" file.
} -----

     Not for long it won't.  I'm updating it right now.

} ...I take it that this is no longer required in current release. For
} my needs I think I just need to compile a custom kernel and done.

     Correct.

}-- End of excerpt from Darren Spruell