Re: Xen modules

Le 07/11/2013 03:32, John Nemeth a écrit :
On Nov 6,  2:30pm, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
} Le 31/10/2013 23:43, John Nemeth a écrit :
} >      Thus, this is NOT a module bug at all, but rather loading
} > modules tickles a latent bug in our Xen code.  For now, I ignore
} > the error instead of panic()ing.  It would be better not to make
} > the call at all, but I don't (yet) know how to test for privileges.
} >
} >      Having made this change, I can now successfully load simple
} > modules.  I need to go on and test more complex modules.
}
} First and foremost, thank you for working on this. Module usage inside

      Your welcome.

} Xen is a big plus :) Sorry for seeing the mail that late though :/

      That's okay.

} Regarding the hypercall privilege, I think that wbinvd gets caught and
} handled by hypervisor; what happens if you replace the hypercall with
}
} asm("wbinvd":::"memory")

      Okay, I tried this.  The result is no crashes or other obvious
signs of problems.  Also, no complaints in "xl dmesg", whereas the
hypercall caused a warning to be logged.  Should I commit the
change?

Manuel being AFK, can I see the diff beforehand, please?

      On a slightly different, but related note, do you (or anybody
else for that matter) know much about how symbols are handled in
Xen kernels?  I can successfully load and run the example module,
but the only functions it calls are printf and proplib stuff.
Trying to load the cd9660 module produces several linking errors:

Xen kernel are not built and linked the same way as native ones (unless you modified it to test kernel modules loading).

It's been a while since I looked at the Makefiles (under arch/xen/conf/), however Xen kernels are not built with OPT_MODULAR turned on IIRC.

ldscripts should not differ much though (between i386/amd64 and xen).

Sorry for not being more specific :/

# modload cd9660
kobj_checksyms, 881: [cd9660]: linker error: symbol `pool_destroy' not found
kobj_checksyms, 881: [cd9660]: linker error: symbol `brelse' not found
kobj_checksyms, 881: [cd9660]: linker error: symbol `uio_setup_sysspace' not
found
kobj_checksyms, 881: [cd9660]: linker error: symbol `mutex_destroy' not found
WARNING: module error: unable to affix module `cd9660', error 8

Difference in nm output between the two kernels for those symbols?

--
Jean-Yves Migeon