Re: Which version of Xen to use with NetBSD 6.1?

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 11:42:38AM -0700, Erik Fair wrote:
> If one has an HP Microserver N40L (AMD Turion II Neo N40L dual core CPU) with
> 8GB of RAM, and one intends to run nothing but NetBSD 6.1 (or later) as both
> dom0 and domU, what version of Xen & xentools should one use?
>
> My attempts to install and boot Xen to date have all failed at the same
> point: the NetBSD boot loader loads it all up, Xen starts, gets to "scrubbing
> memory" and then the screen goes blank and I have to power-cycle the machine
> to get it back. VGA console - the system has no RS-232 serial ports - just
> USB.
>
> /boot.cfg contains:
> menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
> #
> menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -s
> #
> menu=Disable ACPI:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -2
> #
> menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -12
> #
> menu=Boot Xen (vga):load /netbsd.dom0 console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz
> dom0_mem=256M console=vga

Looks good, but it's been some time since I tested Xen with a VGA console.

Can you try to change load /netbsd.dom0 console=com0 while keeping
console=vga for xen.gz ?
This will let xen use the VGA console, and the NetBSD kenrel will
just use the Xen console (via hypercalls) instead of trying to
drive the VGA console itself. This won't probably give a working
keyboard, but hopefully some more details will be displayed ...