Re: XEN v4.1.2 network troubles

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 08:56:03AM +0200, Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:
> [...]
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # /etc/rc.d/xend status
> xend is not running
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root #

It seems to be a known issue after the receont upgarde to 4.1.2.
It seems nobody had time to look at this yet.
But as you noticed, xend have started anyway.

> [...]
> When starting a domU with network configuration (or any other VIF settings)
>
> vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:50:02:f0, bridge=bridge0' ]

looks good

> the domU start, waits approximately 100 seconds and then terminates with
> the messages:
>
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # xm create -c /usr/pkg/etc/xen/nbsd
> Using config file "/usr/pkg/etc/xen/nbsd".
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be
> connected. Hotplug scripts not working

Did you create a bridge0 interface before starting the domU ?
Creating bridge0 is not part of Xen's scripts, but part of the dom0
network settings.

> [...]
> If I start domU without any VIF definitions and manually executes the
> following
> commands on dom0
>
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # ifconfig bridge0 create
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # brconfig bridge0 add re0 up
> root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # xm network-attach nbsd
> mac=12:34:56:78:90:12 bridge=bridge0 ip=192.168.0.14 &
>
> (parameters type, rate, model and accel can also be specified, but I am not
> sure what to enter.
> Where do I find an explanation of these parameters?)

No idea, and I'm not sure these parameters make sense on NetBSD anyway.

> a virtual interface is created on dom0 with the name xvif<domainId>i<n>, but
> only for about
> 100 seconds. Furthermore the IP address does not seem to be assigned to
> neither the dom0 VIF,
> the dom0 bridge nor the domU xennet0 VIF.

No, xen tools don't manage IP adresses for NetBSD. Just configure xennet0
in the domU, just as any other ethernet interface.

It looks like xenbackendd not calling the right attach script for your
interface. Can you show the logs for xenbackendd ?