Re: X server in dom0: Bad VBT signature

On 04.09.12 09:19, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 07:44:23PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
The problem is to identify, when the pmap module gets a request to
map a an address, if this is a PA (which has to be translated to a MA), or
if it's already a MA.
Device drivers requests are already identified as being MA (thanks to the
bus_space interface, driver requests have their own path separate from
VM requests). The problem is when a mapping request comes from userland
via /dev/mem: we don't know if it is a PA or a MA (it depends on who is
doing the request) and as both spaces uses the same addresses there
are conflicts.

Right, but the address that is provided I presume is a physical address?

physical or machine, depending on what the userland process wants.

For example, dmidecode wants machine address.

Christoph

And based on that, and on the E820 (where that data is plugged in the
P2M array/tree), you can figure out whether to treat this as MA or PA?

I can't see how, as the 2 spaces have overlapping addresses.
For a domain with 512MB RAM, Xen gives a physical address space of
0x0 ->  0x20000000. The ISA hole (for example) is at machine
address 0x0a0000 ->  0x100000 (there are memory-mapped ressources outside
this range too). When a process mmaps /dev/mem at 0x0a0000, how do
you know if it wants the RAM at physical address 0x0a0000 (this address then
has to be translated to machine address), or a device mapped
at machine address 0x0a0000 ?