Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

        Hello.  I know nothing here either, but I have a couple of questions.
Who is it that's launching the guests?  Can't who ever it is, have a
locking protocol that says,  I'm now fetching a network interface, please
don't fetch one until I'm certain my client is up or dead?  Then we know we
won't have a race for the interface name, and we're done.
        I'm a little with Darren on the issue of alias names in that an
interface
should be known by one name during the life of its existence.  It seems to
me the issue here is who controls the name of an interface and how does
that knowledge get passed around?  So far I've not seen anything that makes
me feel comfortable with the proposed solutions.  If I'm writing firewall
rules, I need to know the name of the interface I'm using well before Qemu
gets into the picture and as long as that's true, I fail to understand the
problem we face.  I think it would be helpful,even though it may seem
extremely elementary to those that know, if someone who understands both
how hvm hosts used to get their interface names and what changed.
-thanks
-Brian