Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

Martin Husemann wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:24:37AM +0100, Roger Pau Monne wrote:
I'm not completely sure the FreeBSD solution is easier to implement than
the alias one, but at this point this shouldn't be our primary concern.

But the "alias" one has not (yet) well defined semantics.
For example: if you do a snmp traffic graph, which of the N alias names
defined for tap14 do you use?

You can use the one you prefer, I don't see the problem there. Any calls to "altname:name" (or "alias:name") will get redirected to the physical interface that is behind that alias.