Re: PCI pass-through of NIC to PV DomU... worth it?

On 2/24/2012 6:11 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:51:07PM -0500, David Howland wrote:
I need to know which is faster: the PV network interface or passing
the NIC?  I don't have VT-d support, but the server is a dual
quad-core Xeon setup, so I shouldn't be short on compute cycles.  My
gut is telling me that there wouldn't be any tangible difference,
but I want to hear what the experts think.

Running the NIC driver in the domU may help with latency, as it'll
avoid context switches between dom0 and domU. Also, you'll be able
to use checksum offloads.

My assumption was that PCI pass-through to a PV host would still use reflected memory to move data to dom0 like xennet would. Is that incorrect?

-d