Re: Trying to get "a" version of *BSD XEN in .iso to load on a DELL 1850 POWEREDGE (intel chip 64bit)

2012/2/23 Eric Schnoebelen <eric%cirr.com@localhost>:

> Scott Strobele writes:
> - Hi Y'all,
> - I am digging through the site, and getting ready to call it a day, I will
> - finish reading the entire site tomorrow until I find this, Ian Pratt said
> - it was here if it was anywhere.  Another Ian named this location as well.
> - I just have preferences of stability for a mysql database that will be
> - large, and need to scale as far as size of cluster, it should be a lot of
> - fun.
> - I have used BSD before, and am not finding what I am looking for yet.
>
> NetBSD has DOM0 and DOMU support in NetBSD 4.*, 5.* and 6.0_BETA.
>
> I don't know if anyones created a bootable ISO that starts a XEN
> hypervisor as part of the boot, but it's been something I've
> considered (I've got a couple of boxes that won't boot a generic
> kernel, but run fine with a xen hypervisor abstracting the
> hardware.)

I've done something similar, but with a Linux distribution (Alpine
Linux), you can find more info here:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-01/msg00092.html

It's a very minimal Dom0 LiveCD (80MB), that contains a very basic
Linux system (uclibc + busybox) plus the necessary tools to run xen.
It's quite fast, because it runs from ram. It's still a beta test, but
we will probably start releasing this Dom0 LiveCDs with each Alpine
Linux release starting from the 1st of April (approximate scheduled
release date of the next version).

I would also like to do something similar with NetBSD, but that will
require some work.

Regards, Roger.