Re: Issues with NetBSD-5.1, xen and amd64 machines.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:30:52AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>       Hello.  I've now got output from xen and the dom0 kernel.  It panics,
> but I think I can make progress from here.
> The problem with the lack of boot messages was that it wasn't obvious to me
> that NetBSD starts counting serial ports at com0, while xen starts at com1.
> So,  I assume that the example in the boot.cfg(5) man page has output from
> NetBSD going to com0, as NetBS counts it, and xen output going to com1, as
> NetBSD counts it.  In fact, the output of both is going to the same serial
> port with each using its own numbering convention.  Should I update the
> boot.cfg(8) man page to make this more clear?

I don't understand how using com0 or com1 for NetBSD would make a difference.
The code handling this is in arch/xen/x86/consinit.c and
only check for "tty0" of "pc" (both being the VGA console); anything else
fall backs to xencons, which goes through the hypervisor (only the
hypervisor is talking to the serial port).

From the console cut'n'paste you posted earlier, the bootloader wasn't
even trying to load the xen kernel (or at last it didn't say it on console).