Re: Another kassert in xbdback_xenbus.c

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

I updated my dom0 last night, and shortly after the domUs started up, it triggered another KASSERT. It's been running OK since a reboot, though, so it looks like it's not quite as easy to trigger as the earlier ones (and may or may not be a new problem).

panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "xbdi->xbdi_pendingreqs == 0" failed: file "/Users/riz/Documents/code/netbsd/src/sys/arch/xen/xen/xbdback_xenbus.c", line 1017

I had tried running a -current dom0 kernel and hit this panic twice fairly quickly. It appears related to disk I/O, and the 2 VMs I was running are fairly heavy on disk I/O. I switched back to a 5.1_STABLE dom0 for a while, but I looked at that KASSERT a bit, but wasn't able to follow all the code all that well. The KASSERT had been added somewhat recently. I changed the KASSERT to an #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC check so I at least wouldn't panic, and while testing the MP domu kernel had a couple of hits with this check last night:

xbdback_co_cache_flush: xbdi->xbdi_pendingreqs 10
xbdback_co_cache_flush: xbdi->xbdi_pendingreqs 1

These were the only 2 occurances during an uptime of about an hour before the domu VM hung.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant