Re: Unable to create HVM or PV domUs with Xen 4.1

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:24:51PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:

> Uninstalled xentools41, updated pkgsrc tree:
>
> => Applying pkgsrc patches for xentools41-4.1.0nb1
> **************************************
> Ignoring patch file /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools41/patches/patch-ak:
> invalid checksum
> **************************************
> ERROR: Patching failed due to modified or broken patch file(s):
> ERROR:  /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools41/patches/patch-ak
> *** Error code 1

patch-ak was missing the $NetBSD $ top line. Not sure why cvs didn't pick it
up, should be OK now.

> I double checked: removed the xentools41 directory and then cvs update'd
> again.
>
> >> Related question: is PV working?
> >
> > Yes, but with xm only.
> >

> Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what's not working with xl+PV?
> (is it a NetBSD problem, what is needed to fix it, etc)

The domain creation hang with xl, I didn't debug it further at this
point.

> Will this condition break automatic startup of PV domains
> (xendomains="...") ?

as long as the script uses xm and not xl, it should not.

> Oh, another thing: I noticed the following:
>
> # /etc/rc.d/xencommons stop
> /etc/rc.d/xencommons: WARNING: $xend is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
> $xend is not enabled - see rc.conf(5).
> Use the following if you wish to perform the operation:
>   /etc/rc.d/xencommons onestop
>
> Is this by design? I'm still getting up to speed with the 4.1
> differences, but my impression so far is that xend is not required in
> 4.1 (unless using xm - which as you explained above is needed, for now)
>
> Is that correct? Say whatever problem affecting xl+PV guests is fixed;
> Would one still be required to run xend with 4.1?

these script will probably need more tuning.