Re: call for testing: xen 4.1 packages

On 3/30/2011, "Christoph Egger" <Christoph_Egger%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

>On 03/30/11 17:53, Toby Karyadi wrote:

>>> Retry with this line:
>>>
>>> menu=Boot HEAD 201102140500Z xen41:load
>>> /netbsd-201102140500Z-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc root=wd2a;multiboot
>>> /xen41.gz dom0_mem=128M console=vga
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>
>> Adding 'console=vga' to the original did not have any effect. Btw, when
>> I used the xen-debug.gz, instead of just displaying a blank screen and
>> not responding to Ctrl-Alt-Del, it rebooted on its own. It probably
>> doesn't mean anything to you.
>>
>> I'm building a xen.gz on a Centos 5.5 64 bit using the source tgz from
>> xen.org. I'll let you know if I find anything.
>
>Is there something special in how you boot it
>(i.e. pxegrub, loading xen via tftp then boot) ?
>
>Christoph

There is nothing special about my boot setup: straight from disk using
the netbsd boot. I just finished building the xen41 on a centos 5.5 64
bit running in VirtualBox on my intel Mac and if I use that xen.gz I can
boot up just fine using the netbsd xen3_dom0 kernel. Here's the bottom
line difference:

With the following boot.cfg line and the pkgsrc xenkernel41 I got blank:
menu=Boot HEAD 201102140500Z xen41 only:multiboot /xen41.gz dom0_mem=128M

But with the xen.gz built on centos 64 bit I would get the Xen banner and
other messages from xen with the last line saying:
(XEN) Dom 0 kernel not specified. Check your bootloader configuration.

.. or something along that line, which is what's expected.

So, it's more likely that the problem is due to the build process. It
smells like differences due to use of BSD tools vs gnu tools or gcc
difference.

Toby