S3-backed amis?

Hello,

I've been toying around NetBSD/EC2 thanks to the very excellent
instructions provided at http://wiki.netbsd.org/amazon_ec2/ (thanks,
jym@!).  I noticed that all the examples there use EBS for storage and
image creation.  Is there a reason NetBSD ami's couldn't be created
using S3 backed storage
(http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/index.html?creating-an-ami.html)?

Also, I created amd64 images and briefly tested them on m1.large and
m1.xlarge instances -- of course they don't see the additional CPUs, but
they still seemed to work.  Perhaps we should mention this?

Finally, I tried to build an i386 AMI for the m1.small instance, but
somehow that never appeared to boot up.  Is there a known limitation or
did I just mess up?

Thanks!
-Jan