Re: NetBSD 5.1 with XEN3.3 - ACPI powerdown

On 18.02.2011 08:03, Philip Jensen wrote:
> tap-tap-tap, is this mic on?
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Philip Jensen
> <philiprjensen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have just installed NetBSD v5.1 x386 with the XEN-PAE 3.3 kernel and
>> the NetBSD-DOM0 kernel.
>>
>> When I do a shutdown -p now from DOM0, NetBSD shuts down (and I
>> presume hands over control to the XEN kernel), but the machine has not
>> powered off.
>>
>> When I boot a standard NetBSD GENERIC kernel, shutdown -p now
>> correctly shuts down and powers off the machine.

VM shutdown (either dom0 or domU) always end up by hypercall'ing the
hypervisor with a "shutdown" operation. That hypercall will never return
control to the domain, so Xen has to handle the power off itself. NetBSD
should not do it without hypervisor consent.

>> Is this expected behaviour?

I think this was changed recently (don't take that for a "yes")

>  Can I get XEN to understand ACPI related
>> behaviour (e.g. power system down, manage CPU temperature and control
>> fan speed, etc.)?

Somewhat in the middle; currently, you can get hypervisor to let dom0
control certain parameters, but ACPI is not 100% supported with
Xen/NetBSD combination. See:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2010/05/22/msg006014.html

--
Jean-Yves Migeon