From: Steven Bellovin [smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:30 PM
To: John Hayward
Cc: port-xen%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: xen with raidframe without grub

On Sep 15, 2010, at 8:21 51AM, John Hayward wrote:

>  This list has been helpful in the past and I have seen previously it is
> possible to boot xen without grub using boot.cfg.
>
> I have raid on wd0a and wd1a on raid1a.  It appears when I boot the system it
> is not seeing the same set of files as what is on raid1a - that is the
> netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 is not present and I don't think that the version of /boot
> and /boot.cfg that I see in the boot menu are the same as what I see after
> the system is up (on raid1a) - I think the inodes are different.
>
> Is it possible to set up Xen on raid and boot without grub?

Yes; I'm running a production system in more or less that way, using 5.0_STABLE
on amd64.  This is the active boot.cfg line:

menu=Xen (256MB):load /netbsd-DOM0;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=256M console=com1
com1=9600,8n1

and the relevant sections of what is mounted:

# mount
/dev/raid0a on / type ffs (local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
ptyfs on /dev/pts type ptyfs (local)
procfs on /proc type procfs (local)

What do you get if you run 'raidctl -s raid1'?