RE: Problem with auto-starting DomU on NetBSD5.0.2 running Xen3.3

See inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: Manuel Bouyer [mailto:bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:18 PM
To: Kalpesh Zinjuwadia
Cc: port-xen%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: Problem with auto-starting DomU on NetBSD5.0.2 running Xen3.3

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:12:54PM -0700, Kalpesh Zinjuwadia wrote:
> I added the required commands in vif-bridge; however, I don't see the output
> anywhere (checked xenbackendd.log, xend.log, xend-debug.log, console). Don't
> know where it got logged. Then I added it to xendomains script right under
> xendomains_start() and saw output during bootup. I DIDN'T see bridge1 in
> ifconfig -a. ifconfig bridge1 failed too with device not configured error msg.

So bridge1 was not created on boot. Does 'ifconfig -a' show it after boot ?

KZ> That's correct. I see bridge1 once system is up. I think that the bridge is
not present when domU is being auto-created. Manual creation at later point
works fine as bridge1 exists then. I don't know if there's any timing issue
here...

> BTW, in my xend-config.sxp, I have default config for network-script and
> vif-script. The comment says that by default the bridge name is xenbr0.

that's from the linux world. there's no default for NetBSD, a bridge
has to be created and named explicitely.

KZ> Do you mean I have to add the bridge param to network-script and vif-script
in xend-config.sxp?

> However, I'm using bridge1 in vif param in domU config file. I added
> bridge=bridge1 in the network-script below and xenbackendd core dumped :(

I don't understand what could cause this.