Re: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected

On 23/06/2010 6:50 PM, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:38:45 +1000, Sarton
O'Brien<bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost>
wrote:
Here's my config for debian that I can confirm boots fine:

# cat debian
kernel = "/vmlinuz-2.6.30-2-686-bigmem"
ramdisk = "/initrd.img-2.6.30-2-686-bigmem"
memory = 256
name = "debian"
disk = [ 'file:/usr/pkg/etc/xen/debian-tmp.img,xvda,w' ]
vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0'  ]
root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
extra = "xencons=tty1"
#extra = "init=/bin/sh"

Straight off, I'd say you are missing the initrd, which is required
(assuming it has the relevant modules) to access the filesystem.
Typically this results in a panic.

Also, you are using a relatively old linux version, I'd recommend using
the automated debian install and replacing the install kernel/initrd
with the ones downloaded when updating, as I have. I had them available
online for a while but my web server is currently offline. Anyway, HTH.

The kernel version does not really matter here; hotplug scripts are used
to prepare the environment for the domU, by mounting image files, creating
and configuring tap/xvif devices, etc. When the scripts report errors,
start process does not proceed further, and the domU kernel never gets
called.

FWIW, they reside under etc/xen/scripts.

Thanks, though I am aware of most of that. I read 'the kernel booted' and glossed over the rest. The kernel version will matter once the domU is functioning, so to avoid future mails, the information (in the follow up email) is still relevant :)

Sarton