Re: FreeBSD HVM+PV domU hangs on boot -- but not if using file-backed storage

On May,Thursday 27 2010, at 11:25 AM, Hugo Silva wrote:

> It doesn't mean much but I was able to run HVM+PV FreeBSD many months ago on
> a Debian dom0, also with lvm-backed storage. I can't test that now either, as
> the machine happily runs NetBSD -current these days.
>

> The only remotely suspect message I was able to find while booting the domUis:
> xbdback backend/vbd/3/768: unknown device 0xc207 (major=194)

194 is major number of device-mapper (aka lvm) devices. Can you debug this
issue more ? But I'm really not sure where to start. Is this message from xen
tools or from kernel ?

It looks like that it can be from xbdback_xenbus.c#691

        if (mode[0] == 'w')
                xbdi->xbdi_ro = 0;
        else
                xbdi->xbdi_ro = 1;
        major = major(xbdi->xbdi_dev);
        devname = devsw_blk2name(major);
        if (devname == NULL) {
                printf("xbdback %s: unknown device 0x%"PRIx64"\n",
                    xbusd->xbusd_path, xbdi->xbdi_dev);
                return;
        }

But my sources are different I can't find '(major=194)' there. Can you post
your part of these sources or add printfs there to confirm this theory ?

How many lvm devices do you use ? Because I can't really see how this can fail
for some domU and work for other.

Regards

Adam.