Re: Need some assistance concerning HVM guests and VLANs

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 01:05:13PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
> [...]
> I don't understand why I'm able to bridge msk0 and create vlan
> interfaces on the NetBSD domU (and I'm willing to bet on the
> OpenSolaris domU too, altough I haven't tried yet - stumped by this
> atm) and get connectivity, but not on the FreeBSD guest. Also, it
> isn't clear why I'm able to see the vlan3 packets on msk0, but not
> on the vlan3 interface (the arp is-at packets never show up on
> vlan3, only the who-was from the domU).

If I understand it properly, you have both vlan and bridge on the same
physical interface. In my experience, this doesn't work well,
as packets coming from the physical interface are not duplicated
(one for vlan, one for bridge) so one or the other is missing the
packet.
Either create all vlan in your dom0 and attach bridges to all vlans
(this is how I manage this here - one domU has more than 30 xennet now,
each attached to different vlans in the dom0), or attach a bridge to your
physical interface but don't create any vlan in dom0 (in this case I
guess your dom0 can't have network connectivity).

Note that the vlan in dom0 don't have to be configured with an IP address,
they just need to be up.