Re: Migrating from x86 to amd64 Dom0 with x86 DomUs

"Marcin M. Jessa" <lists%yazzy.org@localhost> writes:

> Hi guys.
>
> I've a Dom0 which runs on Intel x86 without virtualization on NetBSD
> 5.0 STABLE.
> The version of XEN I'm using is 3.1.4
>
> I want to move my setup to a server with dual AMD Opterons which don't
> support AMD-Vâ.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Can I upgrade my XEN 3.1.4?

Yes.  You should only need to change xen, not the dom0, I think.

> - Will I need a PAE kernel for my Dom0 ?

If you move to 3.3 (I think), xen is pae only.  So you can run i386 PAE
or amd64 as your dom0.  If you run i386 then guests have to be i386.

> - Can I run the 32 bit DomUs on a 64 bit Dom0? And if it's possible,
> what kernels would I need then (PAE, non-PAE)?

Yes.  I have machines with i386 kernels XEN3PAE_DOMU running on a dom0
that is amd64 with XEN3_DOM0.  I also have XEN3_DOMU amd64 guests.  All
of my guests are paravirtualized.

I recommend getting the new dom0 set up with two test domU images, one
i386 and one amd64.  Then you can copy over the other domU bits and get
the right kernel.