Re: NetBSD 5.99.22 Dom0 + xentools33 + pci export + linux domu

On 12/23/2009 10:57 PM, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
On 12/23/09 20:29, Juraj Hercek wrote:
On 12/22/2009 08:27 PM, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
On 12/22/09 15:01, Juraj Hercek wrote:

Any enlightenment idea what goes wrong during domu shutdown?

Never looked in details for PCI passthru, but is it really safe to
shutdown the "PCI privileged" domain once the associated device has
been set up? I am not so sure that domU will play nice during shutdown.

I think that exporting pci device to domu is quite dangerous (read:
don't do it it if you don't have to), because of possible access
violation through hardware.

Yup, there is no IOMMU support in x86 (means: "widely deployed and supported"). So basically, nasty DMAs can seriously cripple the rest of the system if they are not done properly.

Could you please post your dmesg when booting without enabling the PCI
passthru? Thanks

Sure, no problem, see attached file.

Hmm, thought that uhci* and bge0 would attach on the same pci, but they are not. Could you paste the result of "pcictl /dev/pci0 list" (or lspci) once inside the "PCI privileged" domU?

I'll provide the latter, because I don't have NetBSD domU kernel with xpci stuff compiled in right now. Result of "lspci -v" is attached. I attached also content of /kern/xen/pci/0000:00:1d.0 file from dom0.

It's enough just to start the domU and then shut it down, no need to plug in any usb device in order to spoil dom0. If I boot domU without exported pci, everything works ok after its shutdown.

I will try NetBSD domU with pci frontend compiled in some time later. If that works ok, I would say that it's linux domU misbehaving.

-- Juraj
# lspci -v
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Dell Device 013f
        I/O ports at bf80 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: uhci-hcd