Re: NetBSD vs Linux

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 05:42:33PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
Did you use the ramdisk (and told xen to load it) ?
It worked for me with
kernel = "/domains/vmlinuz.debian"
ramdisk = "/domains/initrd.debian.gz"

On a related note, I have a FreeBSD 8 VM which I use for building some
legacy software in a chroot containing a very old version of FreeBSD.

I would like to try a PV FreeBSD kernel but I cannot figure out how to
start it from a NetBSD domU -- I literally have no idea how to tell the
Xen startup script what to do with FreeBSD's
kernel-as-directory-of-random-stuff -- the FreeBSD guys all seem to use
pygrub.  So I am using HVM.  Hopefully as the NetBSD Xen kernel gets more
modular we won't grow this problem!

Did you do anything special with the FreeBSD 8 HVM guest config? I just briefly tried using 8.0-RC1/amd64 under a NetBSD 5.0.1_PATCH/amd64 dom0 and it keeps panicking during boot.

Afaik PV FreeBSD will only run on i386, but there shouldn't be a problem with HVM?