Re: NetBSD domU and the real server

Hi Jean-Yves,

Jean-Yves Migeon schrieb:
I am assuming you are not using PCI passthru, or HVM.
No, neither of those.

domU is completely hardware independent, except for the machine arch (x86). It is expected to be completely isolated (by design) from the hardware, and cannot access devices, chipsets, or memory. Literally everything has to go and get validated through dom0 and/or Xen.

dom0 is critical in regards to security, and must remain 100% reliable even in cases where domU is crippled (security by isolation). If it crashes because of a domU, it is clearly buggy, and makes assumption on a state or condition it should not to.
That is the theory I also had in mind. :-)

Faulty hardware may be a source of problem too.
The real server ran CentOS dom0 and domU without any crashes for many, many months now. I simply reinstalled it with Debian Lenny and started moving Debian and NetBSD domUs there. That means: It can be a hardware failure, of course, but it is unlikely, I think, especially with this behaviour pattern: a crash only if certain domUs are run.

Without further information, it is hard to tell. A good start would be a stacktrace, xm dmesg, or Xen console output.

A stacktrace of the dom0 kernel, then?
I have never done that (and googling did not show up any fast howto), so please point me to docs on that, if possible.

Dirk