Re: xen interrupt system

On Friday 21 August 2009 11:32:14 Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > There's a C comment right before this message:
> >
> > /* This pin leads nowhere but the guest has not masked it. */
> >
> > When we this message, then Xen didn't really allocate the interrupt for
> > us since it does a more strict validation check if the irq we want to
> > allocate is really an ioapic interrupt. irq 94 is not an existing ioapic
> > interrupt on that machine.
>
> when interrupts are routed using apics, IRQs are not used at the
> hardware level (it's the vector programmed in the apic registers that
> is important), and the hardware doesn't even know the IRQ number we use.
> This is a software object, used to index the interrupt vector arrays
> between Xen and the dom0.

XenSource:

"Well, dom0 may think it using a vector but it isn't. Linux-2.6.18 for
example is allocating vectors for irqs using PHYSDEVOP_alloc_irq_vector(),
as it is supposed to. But crucially after Xiantao's patch it now gets the
irq returned back to it. Dom0 then thinks it is poking a vector into the
IO-APIC RTE, but Xen knows it is an irq and does the appropriate
translation. We can do tricks like this because Xen manages the vector
'namespace' and so can virtualise it as it likes.

So I suppose the question is -- where is NetBSD dom0 conjuring vector
numbers from? You're going to have to track down the source of that 'vector'
0x5e in the NetBSD kernel I think."

XenSource thinks that the vector 0x5e is wrong because according
to this xen boot messages, the vectors go from 0 - 47.

(XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x08] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
(XEN) IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 8, version 17, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-15
(XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x09] address[0xfec01000] gsi_base[16])
(XEN) IOAPIC[1]: apic_id 9, version 17, address 0xfec01000, GSI 16-31
(XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x0a] address[0xfec02000] gsi_base[32])
(XEN) IOAPIC[2]: apic_id 10, version 17, address 0xfec02000, GSI 32-47
(XEN) ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 high edge)