Re: No IP address in virtual machine

Hi Greg,
>   Idx BE     MAC Addr.     handle state evt-ch tx-/rx-ring-ref BE-path
>   0   0  00:16:3e:5b:d1:6e    0     4      7
> 521  /522     /local/domain/0/backend/vif/2/0
>
> Beware the the xen kernel in i386 debian lenny is broken and won't
> find the interface we call xennet0 in a netbsd domU.  This looks ok.

Sorry, you got me confused here. Are you saying that the kernel in
lenny shouldn't work but that this looks like it did work for me?

>   ip=:127.0.255.255::::eth0:dhcp
>
> where did this come from?

I never set this line as such. It must be a consequence of my
configuration file. It just shows up in the dmesg.

> I would delete the dhcp=

Ok. I might try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

>   The XEN logs all look normal. The only error message I see is
>   in /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log.
>
>   brctl: not found
>
> That looks like a linux command; we use brconfig.

I never set this. I actually couldn't even find out where it gets that
brctl from to change it to brconfig. :(

>   vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0' ]
>
> Assign an address manually.  Linux seems to use something called udev
> which by default remembers mac addresses somehow and gives you a new
> ethN interface for each mac address.  This is sort of cool on real
> hardware so you get consistent binding of hardware to names, but
> combined with xen's making up mac addresses it is not helpful.

The problem there is that I have to be very careful with that. Last
time I assigned an address to the interface, the MAC address made it
all the way through to the physical network and the data centre's IDS
cut me off the network because it suspected ARP poisoning.
Maybe it is my poor understanding of the whole network architecture of
XEN but I believed that to the physical network there would be only one
interface with several IP addresses while the virtual servers access
that interface via the bridge...

> The other thing to do is run tcpdump  on the xvifN.0 interface on the
> dom0.

Thanks for the hint. I might try that, too. As described above, there
seems to be stuff coming through...

Cheers,
Christian