booting via USB adapter

I've installed NetBSD/i386 4.0.1 xen on a PATA disk, by following the instructions in http://netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.html, i.e. installed these packages using pkgsrc-2008Q3:

sysutils/grub
sysutils/xentools
sysutils/xentools3-hvm
sysutils/xenkernel3

then copied xen.gz and the standard domain0 kernel to /, created /grub/menu.lst and ran 'grub --no-floppy'. The system booted into dom0 OK.

I wanted to boot a laptop from this PATA disk temporarily so I could run 'xm info' to see if its CPU had the hardware virtualisation feature. I connected the disk to the laptop with a PATA<->SATA adapter, changed 'wd0' to 'sd0' in /etc/fstab, /grub/device.map and /grub/menu.lst. Although it looked good at the beginning of the boot, it ended up failing:

Searching for RAID components...
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
mountroot: trying lsf...
mountroot: trying ffs...
root file system type: ffs
init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
Tue Jan 27 11:37:24 GMT 2009
swapctl: /dev/wd0b: Device not configure
Checking for botched superblock upgrades: done.
Starting file system checks:
Can't open /dev/rwd0a: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Jan 27 11:37:24 init: `/bin/sh' on `/etc/rc' terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

In which other file(s) do I need to substitute 'sd0' for 'wd0' to get it to boot successfully?

Ray