Re: using linux as domU. Error: initializing devices...

Cem Kayali wrote:
3- Now current problem... I couldn't fix.... I see "Xenbus initializing devices message". It counts down starting from 200+ seconds to 0 and gives up... Last message in screen is "could not mount root (3,1) partition"...

Nothing relevant from dmesg or xm dmesg when starting domU?

I used 0x301 instead od hda1 to fix this issue and still same. I also tried mounting volume to /mnt first and then use root="/mnt ro" too. xend.log shows:

This won't work. root="xxxx" is a parameter passed down to the kernel's domU to make it aware of its root partition. It is domU specific.

Well, another Q: Should i install linux under NetBSD? Is this must?

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.html says: "To install the Linux system on the partition to be exported to the guest domain, the following method can be used: install sysutils/e2fsprogs from pkgsrc. Use mke2fs to format the partition that will be the root partition of your Linux domain, and mount it. Then copy the files from a working Linux system, make adjustments in etc (fstab, network config)."

It is a must. I don't know of any linux distributions out there that provide "install from scratch" domU kernels.

Alas, installing a linux domU is not very practical once dom0 and domU do not come from the same distribution.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jean-yves.migeon%espci.fr@localhost