Re: netbsd/xen on RHEL5.2 dom0?

On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Christoph Egger wrote:

Andy Reitz wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in installing the netbsd/xen port onto a RedHat
5.2/64-bit machine that I have access to. This machine is already
running some Linux domU's. Here is some information about the Xen
environment:

[root@XXXXXX ~]# virsh
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
      'quit' to quit

virsh # version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.3.3
Using library: libvir 0.3.3
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 3.1.0

My understanding of this version of Xen, is that if I was to perform
paravirtualization of a domU host, then said host must also be running
as 64-bit:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-Compatibility_of_host_and_guest_combinations.html

However, in poking around, I could only find a 32-bit
netbsd-XEN3_DOMU.gz kernel. For example, I looked here:

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-4.0.1/i386/binary/kernel/

I poked around on the FTP server, but couldn't find a corresponding
XEN3_DOMU kernel that was compiled 64-bit (amd64). However, poking
around in CVS shows that there is a config file for such a kernel:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/?only_with_tag=MAIN

So, is the correct procedure for me to compile a 64-bit netbsd/xen
kernel before I attempt to install? Can anybody give me any hints in
advance as to whether-or-not NetBSD will work on the host that I have
described above?

64-bit support has been added in -current. You can also download an
install iso for -current from http://www.netbsd.org/mirrors/#ftp- releng

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the pointer. I looked on a mirror and on the master server, and I don't see any ISO images for current:

ncftp /pub/NetBSD/iso > pwd
  ftp://iso.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/
ncftp /pub/NetBSD/iso > dir
d------r-x                Nov  3  2006   3.0.2
d------r-x                Apr 20  2007   3.1
d------r-x                Jan 29  2008   4.0
d------r-x                Oct 12 13:11   4.0.1
d------r-x                Nov 12  2006   livecd

Is it in a different path on the FTP server?

Thanks,
        -Andy.