HVM guest support is unavailable

Hi Xen People,
   I am running Xen version 3.3 on the amd64 port on an intel processor
(from dmesg vcpu0 at hypervisor0: Intel 686-class, 2327MHz, id 0x6fb)
   When I attempt to start a WindowsXP guest domu I get:
===
Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?
===
   Is this because I am using the amd64 port?
   Should I be able to run a HVM 32 bit guest on the amd64 port?
   Should I be able to run a HVM 64 bit guest on the amd64 port?
   Do I need to adjust cpuid in the bios?

I have been able on xen 3.0 on the i386 port run a HVM 32 bit guest.

johnh...