Re: type=ioemu? (was: Re: NetBSD in an HVM instance can't see outside world)

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:53:33PM +0200, Johan Ihren wrote:
> >>vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3d:00:00:13, bridge=bridge0, type=ioemu' ]
> >
> >This should create a tap interface in the dom0, in addition to the
> >usual
> >xvif. Please check that the tap interface is up, and was added to
> >bridge0
>
> Exactly what does the "type=ioemu" stuff mean? And why is the tap

It emulates a real networking adapter (e.g. a ne2000, or a realtek)
in the domU, instead of presenting a PV interface

> needed for networking? And what does it do in this context (i.e. I
> know that a tap is a virtual Ethernet in the DOM0, but at least for PV
> the xvif is all that's needed).

The emulation is done by the qemu-dm process; is uses the tap interface
to pass ethernet packets to the dom0

> Googling reveals lots of Linux references of unclear relevance to
> NetBSD/Xen so I'm a bit confused.
>
> And, while on the subject of ioemu, I see things like:
>
> >disk = [ 'file:/xen/windows/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w', 'phy:/dev/
> >cd0a,ioemu:hdb:cdrom,r' ]
>
> So how is that different from not using the "ioemu:" part in front of
> the VDEV (i.e. "hda" here)?

with ioemu, qemu-dm will emulate a PIIX IDE controller. Without it you'd
have to use PV drivers in the guest.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost