Re: [suspend/resume] memory_op hypercall failure: XENMEM_maximum_gpfn

Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
# xm dump-core 2 /root/core
Error: Failed to dump core: (1, 'Internal error', 'p2m_size < nr_pages -1 (0 < 1fff')
Questions are:
- hypercall APIs speak of "-ve errcode" on failure, but I can not manage to find which errcode they are referring to. Are they the same as the ones given in the mini-os from xentools? (extras/mini-os/include/errno-base.h). If yes, -1 indicates an EPERM error, which is weird for dom0. - do the XENMEM_maximum_gpfn memory operation require some cooperation from the guest to obtain the proper value? I would say no, hypervisor should do it by itself alone. Am I missing something here?
I investigated this matter a bit further: looks like the architecture dependent part of shared_info struct from Xen should be "updated" by guest upon start up, by completing the shared_info->arch.pfn_to_mfn_frame_list_list element with the list of frames that specifies the list of frames which makes up the entire p2m table (I would say it mimics the PD => PT mechanisms).

I did not find any part in NetBSD kernel which uses such kind of translation tables (relevant parts of pmap dealing with machine frames use hypercall MMU operations), and the rest just use the pseudo physical frame numbers, anyway (like virtual addresses).

What troubles me is the errno returned by the hypercall I was talking about in my previous mail (EPERM). IMHO, it has nothing to do with permissions.

Anyway, it is used by dump-core/save/restore. So, I am heading for some pmap things. Does my reasoning look plausible to you or not?

Cheers,

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jean-yves.migeon%espci.fr@localhost