Re: Windows XP in DomU on a NetBSD on Dom0

On Monday 28 April 2008 11:40:17 Nicolas Letellier wrote:
> Hello port-xen@,
>
> I don't know NetBSD. I'm a OpenBSD/FreeBSD user. I want to create a Dom0
> server with Xen. I don't like Linux, so I want to discover NetBSD, and
> its Xen implementation. The Dom0 will have a virtual machines:
>   - OpenBSD (my file server)
>   - Windows XP (juste for a share of a printer)
>
> I would like to know if xen NetBSD could support an Windows XP in DomU ?

Yes, you can run it as HVM guest. Install sysutils/xentools3-hvm from pkgsrc.

> I have a machine with a Athlon 2800+ and 1 Go RAM DDR. Is it good?

It must be at least RevF where SVM has been introduced. Otherwise,
you miss the hw feature to run WinXP as HVM guest.

> More, I have a USB printer. I would like to know if Dom0 could "share"
> this printer to a DomU?

Nope. NetBSD doesn't support mapping device into DomU yet. Sorry.
You can use something like this

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx

as an ethernet -> USB converter. That way you can talk to your Printer
from your WinXP DomU.

Christoph