Re: Starting save/restore for port-xen - initial questions

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:06:59PM -0700, Godin, Barbara wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to this list as well, joining port-xen to explore the upcoming
> differences between the Xen 3.2 Linux implementation and the NetBSD
> implementation for DMA Remapping.
>
> For Intel architectures, you'll want to review the attached specification,
> which will provide some useful insights.  Additionally, I'd also recommend
> Intel's mainline SDM's on CPU architectures as they are updated with every
> new core release (~quarterly):
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/.  Volume 3B is the
> "Virtualization" manual.
>
> Particularly, review recent updates to application notes regarding TLBs,
> Cache invalidation and memory ordering.
>
> Each of these docs will include links to the latest URLs at Intel for
> additional information on current architecture best known methods, downloads
> and other resources.

While these docs pointers are interesting, and DMA remapping (this is what
others would call an IOMMU, isn't it ?) is a must have for proper device
loaning to domUs, I'm not sure they're of direct use for Jean-Yves's
project. This is about suspend/resume of PV domUs, and he shoudln't have to
deal with the hardware directly.