Subject: Re: Cannot see boot messages with DomU
To: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/11/2008 07:55:17
> John Hayward wrote:
>>
>> My netbd config file has:
>> ====
>> kernel = "/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU"
>> memory = 256
>> name = "netbd"
>> #cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick
>> #nics = 1
>> vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:50:02:f0, bridge=bridge0' ]
>> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/wd0f,0x01,w', 'phy:/dev/cd0a,0x2,r' ]
>> root = "/dev/wd0a"
>> ===
>>
>> /dev/wd0f is not mounted and is available
>
> I'd say it's possible it's rejecting the mac address you are using. Besides
> the fact you probably don't want any white space in your vif line (I'm not
> sure if this is detrimental or not but I think it may be from memory), xen
> requires the use of a specific mac address, at least wrt the first 3 octets.
> These are:
>
> 00:16:3e:
>
> Best way to generate this address though is to start a domu with no mac entry
> just vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0' ] and note down the mac address created when
> within the domu, then use that address within your config. Doing this will
> allow you to test the domu and at least remove that whitespace in the interim.
I've tried without a mac and no change.
I also tried without the root line (thought the comments in the How To
seem to indicate it is required.  I also tried with /dev/xbd0a buth
with the same results - no booting messages when starting.

> You won't require the root line for a NetBSD domu, but if you did it would be
> /dev/xbd0a.
>
> You can also remove the commented cpu and nics line as I believe they are not
> valid for xen3.
I commented them from the How To because they gave grief.

> Give that a try and if you still have issues just holler.

I wonder if there is a problem with the DOMU kernel - I do see in xen info
about loading it.

> Sarton

johnh...