Subject: Re: dom0 and timed
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Sarton O'Brien <sobrien@roguewrt.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/07/2008 14:29:04
Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> Alan Barrett wrote:
>> "timed -M -F 127.0.0.1" might work.
>>
>> Long ago, there used to be patches (against a version of timed that
>> didn't have a "-F" option) to add a "-N" command line option to make
>> timed believe that ntpd owned the clock, but I can't find them right
>> now, and they don't seem to have made their way into NetBSD's timed.
>>
>> --apb (Alan Barrett)
>>

> I believe you are correct ... the man page from memory states that '-F
> localhost' implies -M and will not attempt to alter the local clock
> due to the self assignment.
>
> Now I am convinced that using ntpd is the right way to go however, I
> am stuck with a new problem (which I've bothered Daniel with off-list)
>
> I set up ntpd on dom0 and attempted to synchronise with domu clients
> to no avail. I tested from another box with ntpclient and it succeeded.
>
> <copy and paste>
>
> I actually sniffed a few packets yesterday and determined via google
> that the problem is the master ntp server is not synchronising
> upstream and it seems ntpdate and ntpd are smart enough to know this,
> whereas ntpclient isn't, which is what I was testing with on another box.
>
> On the master ntp server, if I use '/etc/rc.d/ntpdate start' the time
> is synchronised but if I use 'ntpd -q' it errors with 'no reply'.
>
> I tried specifying the config aswell with no luck.
>
> </copy and paste>
>
> Any ideas? I find it strange that ntpdate works but ntpd -q doesn't
> .... though this stuff is relatively new to me and I may be missing
> something.

Alright, it looks like it was my fault. ntpd seems to require more than
one server entry even for a 'ntpd -q'. Specifying multiple entries
allows everything to function properly and my clients are now
synchronising. I was hoping au.pool.ntp.org would be sufficient but I
guess it requires more than one reference ... pedantic thing ... but I
guess it wouldn't be the defacto standard otherwise.

My original question about broadcasts for dom0 was never resolved, at
the very least, I've learned a little about how ntp functions I spose :)

Sarton