Subject: Re: dom0 and timed
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Sarton O'Brien <sobrien@roguewrt.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/07/2008 09:36:42
Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008, Daniel Hagerty wrote:
>
>>     AFAIK, timed does not have a mode for "something else owns the
>> system clock, only speak network protocol to clients".
>>

> "timed -M -F 127.0.0.1" might work.
>
> Long ago, there used to be patches (against a version of timed that
> didn't have a "-F" option) to add a "-N" command line option to make
> timed believe that ntpd owned the clock, but I can't find them right
> now, and they don't seem to have made their way into NetBSD's timed.
>
> --apb (Alan Barrett)

I believe you are correct ... the man page from memory states that '-F
localhost' implies -M and will not attempt to alter the local clock due
to the self assignment.

Now I am convinced that using ntpd is the right way to go however, I am
stuck with a new problem (which I've bothered Daniel with off-list) ....

I set up ntpd on dom0 and attempted to synchronise with domu clients to
no avail. I tested from another box with ntpclient and it succeeded.

<copy and paste>

I actually sniffed a few packets yesterday and determined via google
that the problem is the master ntp server is not synchronising upstream
and it seems ntpdate and ntpd are smart enough to know this, whereas
ntpclient isn't, which is what I was testing with on another box.

On the master ntp server, if I use '/etc/rc.d/ntpdate start' the time is
synchronised but if I use 'ntpd -q' it errors with 'no reply'.

I tried specifying the config aswell with no luck.

</copy and paste>

Any ideas? I find it strange that ntpdate works but ntpd -q doesn't ....
though this stuff is relatively new to me and I may be missing something.

Sarton