Subject: Re: Debug and diagnostic options
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino@ac.upc.edu>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/05/2008 17:12:02
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:07:01 +0100
"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmerino@ac.upc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> [ Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list ]
>
> I see that the default configuration files for Xen, both in i386 and
> amd64, have the DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC options turned on by default
> [*].  Why is this?  Can they be removed and let the user decide if he
> really wants them, as we do with all other kernels?
>
> I'm asking because I added those two options to a GENERIC.local file
> and then rebuilt the whole system, hoping that all release kernels
> would be built with these options.  But, to my surprise, the built
> broke because they were being redefined in the Xen kernels.
>
> Thanks.
>
> * Little inconsistency: the ones in i386 do not define makeoptions
> DEBUG="-g", whereas the ones in amd64 do.

I asked that question some years ago when Xen 2 was still experimental...
and Manuel said that it was there for testing. I agree with Julio and
IMHO it's time to remove those options...

--
Juan Romero Pardines             The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org/         NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish