Subject: NetBSD/Xen How to - suggestions
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-xen
Date: 01/30/2008 21:59:36
Dear Netbsd Xeners,
    I am in the process of set up xen on NetBSD.  I have a NetBSD-4.0
install and using xen3.
    I ran into a few issues in the process following the How to:

1) When setting up grub it mentions putting the menu.lst in /grub
    I also needed to (as mentioned in the installing with raid link at the
    bottom of the NetBSD/Xen How to):
====
    GRUB setup

# mkdir /grub
# cp -p /usr/pkg/lib/grub/i386-/* /grub
====
    It might be nice to include this step.

2) It appears that the 4.0 generic and generic-mp kernels have a
    Multiboot-enabled kernels (the default for NetBSD 4.x and above)
    the "module --type=netbsd /..." did not work for me.  I needed
    to remove the --type=netbsd on the kernel line for the items in
    the menu.lst.  It is "exciting" when you have problems booting the
    xen kernel (see item 3) then try to boot the "backup" generic
    kernel and have that fail ;-)  I found about this flag in info
    grub.

3) For some reason when I booted the xen.gz file as the kernel I got a
    corrupted file error message.  I tried several times to rebuild this
    file without success on booting.  If I uncompressed it and referenced
    the uncompressed xen in the kernel line it booted without problem.
    I don't know if there is something missing that while booting cannot
    decompress the xen.gz or if there is a difference in how the
    compression is done relative to decompression on boot.

Thanks for the good work on this project.

johnh...