Subject: Re: "Invalid kernel" error in netbsd 4 domU under xen 3.2, linux dom0
To: Silas Silva <silasdb@gmail.com>
From: Jim Cipar <jcipar@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-xen
Date: 01/30/2008 12:55:30
On Jan 29, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Silas Silva wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 02:36:25PM -0500, Jim Cipar wrote:
>> It looks like a PAE/Non-PAE mismatch.  If Xen is compiled for PAE, it
>> can only boot PAE guests.  NetBSD Xen/PAE support was merged with
>> current a few days ago (according to the mailing list, I haven't
>> tried
>> it).  The easiest solution is to use amd64 if you've got the
>> hardware.
>
> Sorry, forgot to tell the hardware. It is actually a x86 machine
> (Intel Xeon
> 1.86 GHz Dual Core). But it might have this feature.
>
> I wonder if it would be better (easier and secure (it is a production
> machine)) either to recompile xen or recompile the NetBSD kernel.

If it's a production machine, recompile Xen.  The PAE support in
NetBSD is very new, and some people have reported problems with it.
The non-pae xen code is pretty well tested, though it is a pain to
recompile, and can no longer support >4GB.  We are using 8GB machines,
which is why we just settled on using amd64.