Re: Newbie question about amd64 Xen Dom0

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:59:00PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:14:37AM -0400, Ernesto Bascon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I followed the Xen/HOWTO found in:
> >
> > http://www.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.html
> >
> > to install a Xen kernel on my amd64 box.
> >
> > I followed the steps and I got stalled after installing grub
> > [using pkg_add -f].
> >
> > The grub application was installed successfully, but the stage* files
> > were not installed [no  /boot/grub or /grub directories were created
> > anyway], so, when I run
>
> grub-install should create /grub and copy the files to it. Did you run
> grub-install ?

I usually setup grub manually instead of using the wrapper scripts.  It's
easy!

Just copy stage1, stage2, and the relevant stage1_5 from /usr/pkg/lib/grub/...
into /grub, and run "grub" on the command line:

grub> root (hd0,0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

Assuming your dom0 (with the stage files) is on the first MBR partition of
the first disk, and you want to install grub on the first disk.  Yes, grub
has its own notation for disks and partitions, but it has tab-completion
which makes it trivial enough.

You can then create a boot-menu in /grub/menu.lst.  There are many references
on the Net about it.

        Geert