Subject: Xen Issues with 4.0
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@netbsd.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 01/13/2008 17:51:37
Is Xen (both 2 and 3) supposed to be working fine with NetBSD 4.0? I
seem to be having a great many issues using it as a dom0.

On an Asus M2A-VM motherboard with an AMD 64 X2 5600+ CPU, I can bring up
NetBSD 4.0/i386 as a dom0, but with xen3 the system wedges shortly after
going multiuser, and with xen2 it wedges when I try to bring up a NetBSD
domU. This same machine works fine using the Xen 2 live CD with Debian
as the dom0 and NetBSD 3 domUs. (I've not yet tried a Xen3 live CD.)

On an oldish 2.4 GHz Celeron machine that appears to wors fine under
NetBSD 4.0, Xen3 with NetBSD 4.0 as a dom0 will boot to multiuser, but
two different ethernet interfaces don't work (an rtk0 keeps giving me
"timeout" messages that I don't get when not running Xen, and doesn't
appear to send or receive packets, and an re0 that doesn't appear to
send or receive packets) and, though the USB interfaces show up in the
output of usbdevs, no USB devices are ever probed.

Xen2 with a NetBSD 4.0 dom0 comes up on this machine, and all of
the hardware appears to work, but I've not been able to test a domU
because I seem to be running into python problems with xentools20 from
pkgsrc-current. Trying to start xend gives me this:

    Starting xend.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/pkg/sbin/xend", line 27, in ?
	from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
      File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line 30, in ?
	from xen.xend import sxp
      File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/sxp.py", line 20, in ?
	from xen.util.ip import _readline, _readlines
    ImportError: cannot import name _readline

(I do have /usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/readline.so installed)
and running xm gives me this:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/pkg/sbin/xm", line 7, in ?
	from xen.xm import main
      File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xm/main.py", line 40, in ?
	from xen.util.blkif import blkdev_name_to_number
    ImportError: No module named blkif

I do have the following two files:

    /usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/blkif.py
    /usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/blkif.pyc

If anybody has thoughts on any of these issues, I'd like to hear them.
At this point I'm thinking that I'll give it another day or so, and
then just bail and go with Ubuntu server as the dom0. In case I end up
going that route, I'd appreciate hints on how one might install NetBSD
instances under it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs@starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974